Transfer Credit and Portfolio Credit

The acceptance of transfer credits between academic institutions lies within the discretion of the receiving college or university. Credits earned at William Howard Taft University may or may not be accepted by another institution depending upon its own programs, policies, and regulations.

The University is committed to providing students the greatest opportunity to apply previously earned credit toward their chosen degree program. Subject to the limitations of state and accreditation regulations and academic comparability, students may apply to have credit awarded through completion of:

  • Transfer Credit: Transfer credit toward a degree may be awarded for postsecondary courses completed by the student at other institutions if such courses are found to meet the standards and requirements of the specific program. Transfer credit must be from an appropriately accredited institution. Credit transfer will not be denied solely on the source of accreditation of the sending institution.
  • Portfolio Credit: Credit may be given for adequately documented and validated equivalent learning of a postsecondary nature. Examples include credit for professional certifications and college level equivalent tests. Students with prior military experience may also apply to have military coursework and documentation evaluated for possible equivalent college credit.

Portfolio credit is not available for the Doctor of Business Administration (DBA), Doctor of Education (EdD), or the Master of Science in Taxation (MST) programs.

Transfer Credit is not available for the Doctor of Education (EdD) programs.

Foreign Applicants and Applicants with International Credentials

Applicants whose native language is not English and who have not earned a degree from an appropriately accredited institution where English is the principal language of instruction must receive a minimum score of 500 (530 for Masters degree, and 550 for Doctorate program applicants) on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or 61 on the iBT (71 on the iBT for Masters degree applicants, and 80 for Doctorate program applicants), or its equivalent.

For more information on TOEFL visit the website:

Foreign Degree Evaluation

Applicants applying with a foreign degree or wishing to transfer in credits earned at institutions located outside the United States must have their academic transcripts evaluated and certified by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. (NACES) member organization. Applicants will be assessed a fee by the certifying organization and should request that the report be sent directly to Taft University. Applicants transferring in a degree need to request a General Degree Evaluation sometimes called a Document by Document Evaluation. Applicants wishing to transfer in credits toward specific courses must request a Course-by-Course report.

News & Events

2021 DBA Tuition Grant

This summer and fall, we're offering a 20% tuition grant for our DBA program to...

EdD Tuition Grant Opportunity

This summer, we're offering a tuition grant for all EdD program concentrations, offering 25% off...

Request Information

Blank pixel being used for spacing

Blank pixel being used for spacing